What kind of punishment are you expecting for Hammel?

ChaosLex

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the League will look at what actually transpired and not make a decision not to suspend him.

Giving up three homers in a row has to be pretty rattling, I don't care who you are. That doesn't happen very often. Letting a breaking ball slip after that is understandable. If he really wanted to drill him, he'd go with the fastball.

Always thought multi game suspensions for starting pitchers was weird. Big deal, they don't get to sit on the bench and chart pitches for a few days.

If it wasn't intentional how could it be headhunting?

Nobody can go into Hammels mind and tell if its intentional or not for sure. You have to go by the situation... and hitting a guy in the head with the first pitch after 3 straight homers is considered head hunting, and isn't considered acceptable by Major League Baseball. Hammel just saying "It was an accident" or "I didn't mean to hit him" doesn't mean anything to MLB.

I don't buy the slider meaning it was totally unintentional, either. You can get your message across with an 82 mph pitch while also using that as an excuse why you weren't throwing at the guy.

Nobody can go into Hammels mind and tell if its intentional or not for sure. You have to go by the situation... and hitting a guy in the head with the first pitch after 3 straight homers is considered head hunting, and isn't considered acceptable by Major League Baseball. Hammel just saying "It was an accident" or "I didn't mean to hit him" doesn't mean anything to MLB.

What? He hit him with an 82MPH backdoor slider that never broke. It hit him in the shoulder, head hunting? No. He had no command all night, he missed up in that same spot to LHB with his breaking ball. Ridiculous to say he was head hunting.

First of all, he didn't hit him in the head.

Second, it was a soft breaking ball that he hit him with. If you're a pitcher to do you try to intentionally drill a batter with a 82 mile per hour breaking ball or a 92 mile per hour fastball that you can aim better?

I don't buy the slider meaning it was totally unintentional, either. You can get your message across with an 82 mph pitch while also using that as an excuse why you weren't throwing at the guy.

Didnt he hit him in the shoulder/arm?

He has to get something. What is the going rate for these things? Give him that. Not really bad for the Orioles. It would be like a mini DL trip for him. Maybe he will get right with a little more rest.

A question. If he is suspended do the Orioles have to pay him? I would take out a prorated amount from his checks.

Didnt he hit him in the shoulder/arm?

Hit him in the shoulder and bounced up and hit him in the head. Either way, if you're arguing the "control" issue, then it doesn't matter if he hit him in the head or not. It was in the general area and thats all that matters.

He wasn't hit in the head.

You used the expression "Head Hunting", that term implies intent. You then decided to add a qualifying statement that was contradictory to the phraseology you used earlier in the same sentence.

And Hammels pitches for the Phillies, he is the one that intentionaly hit Bryce Harper last season.

Archived